Saturday, March 21, 2009

The New Old Barbie Games


I was shopping the other day for toys, and I came across a discovery that I was literally thrilled about. In honor of Barbie’s 50th anniversary, Mattel has released the old Barbies in special collector’s editions.

The Classic Barbie
The first new old Barbie I found was the classic Barbie in her red and white swimsuit. This was the Barbie that took the world by storm and she’s still wearing the same swim costume and has her hair done in the same high ponytail with bangs.

The First Malibu Barbie
Malibu Barbie was introduced to the world in the seventies, judging by the date on the box. Having never even seen a picture of the first Malibu Barbie games, I was impressed. Malibu Barbie had a much deeper tan than the original Barbie and her swimsuit was much more interesting – a high cut orange number if I remember correctly. Hair was long and flowing and she looked very much like a carefree California girl.

The Bubble Cut Barbie
With her distinctive dark hairstyle, the bubble cut Barbie showed us everything about the early 1960s. Her fur trimmed gown especially is fun – it makes me feel very glamorous, in fact.

No comments: