Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Barbie Games and Gifts


I’m having a hard time giving Barbie games as gifts these days. It’s a strange phenomenon really, but it has less to do with the Barbie games and more to do with the girls I’d be giving the gifts to. For years I was buying gifts for three and four-year-old girls. In that age group, it seems like you can’t go wrong with a princess Barbie doll. But then something changes and it’s hard to tell if the kindergarten girls are still into Barbie games or not. Some have moved on and others are still there, but it’s always a gamble.

Not only are some girls not as thrilled with a Barbie game, the parents of these girls can be a bit hesitant to be excited about a Barbie as well. The connotation of the Barbie games with a ditzy blond and high fashion can be a bit much to swallow now that we all want our children to grow up strong and secure in their own right. Of course, Barbie games aren’t going to cause problems for anyone, and I still go for a pretty Barbie toy when I can, but there’s always that hesitation that makes me stop and think about what I’m doing.

No comments: