Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Princess Barbie Games


I was impressed recently to see a large box of all of the princesses little girls play with being sold in a set. There were at least six, maybe even seven princess Barbie games in a single box – all lined up and named according to the popular children’s movie they were from. I understand that princesses are a big deal with little girls, but I wonder if Barbie games aren’t getting a bit less creative by selling the same doll who already has a story.

The best thing about something like Barbie games is how simple they are and how easily children can start to create with the dolls. The Barbie games are like a blank slate and the girls are able to draw on that slate by giving Barbie stories to act out. When Barbie games are sold as princesses who have a movie and story already, are they are ripe for creative interpretation? It’s not certain, of course, but if I were to go back in time, I think I’d much rather have Barbie games that I could actually play with rather than a doll whose life was predetermined for me.