Saturday, November 15, 2008

I’m a Barbie Girl


Aqua may have been sued (and won) over the band’s poppy, “I’m a Barbie Girl” song, but the group managed to get the feeling of Barbie exactly right. Playing Barbie games is fun and totally flighty. The song is about a girl who actually feels like Barbie and I’m not sure if I feel “fantastic; wrapped in plastic” but I do like to play more than my fair share of Barbie games.

I think most girls are Barbie girls at some point in their lives. It’s hard to be young and not love the beautiful Barbie dolls and the gorgeous clothes they come with. The tiny shoes and the plastic hair brushes add to the mix, but over time some of us grow away from the magic of Barbie games.

The real world steps in and tells us that fantasy and fashion dolls aren’t the coolest, hippest thing to do with our time and regretfully, we leave Barbie behind to become teenagers fixated on material goods.

But I think that secretly, every girl would still love to get a new Barbie for Christmas. Even grown women would smile and enjoy pulling out that doll and playing with her hair and clothes for a while before putting her on a shelf to remind her of days gone by.

No comments: