Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Barbie Games


Years ago I acquired a Barbie head. It was actually Barbie’s head and torso and the point of the large toy was to play with Barbie’s hair and make-up. Barbie games on this scale were rather new to me, but I quickly adapted and had a great time. Why?

Because a real life Barbie game is unusual and fun. I’m not entirely sure if they still make the authentic sized Barbie heads, but if they do, every girl should have one. I spent hours giving Barbie updos and dreadlocks. And when the fun seemed to be waning, I even went ahead and gave Barbie a haircut.

Because Barbie makes a great test subject. You don’t always have a friend around to try out new styles with. By playing with Barbie’s hair, you can see what your hair might look like in a particular style and even practice your specific type of braid or using a ribbon or bow as part of the effect.

Because Barbie couldn’t complain. Sometimes I’d try to play hair and make up games with my sister, but she wouldn’t have it. Fortunately, I did have one person who would take what I could dish out and never complain. She’d just keep smiling and be happy about whatever I did to that shining mane of blonde hair.

No comments: