Saturday, January 31, 2009

Multicolored Barbies


I’m reasonably sure that in my existence, Barbie was the first toy to appear in multicolor. What I mean is Barbie started off as white as white can be. But soon Barbie’s friends began to show up in a multitude of colors. Barbie now has friends of every race and creed. I especially liked that one of her earliest friends had red hair – you just don’t find that many places.

Today it’s standard to have different colors and races represented in a product line, but from a child’s perspective, Barbie and Little People were the two places I saw diversity for the first time. I think there is a lot to be said for growing up around diversity. You see it first in your dolls and then in your life.

I personally like to get one of each kind of doll to add to a Barbie games collection. Not only does it make my collection more diverse, it makes it more fun as well.

No comments: