Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Barbie Games and Pink


I’m sure I’m not the only one, but I’ve often struggled with the idea of Barbie always being in pink. I understand that Barbie is for girls and that girls are represented by pink. I also understand that pink is a pretty color. I’m not arguing either point. My concern is that pink is shown at an almost unrealistic level. I mean – who drives a pink corvette anyhow?

Don’t get me wrong – I love pink. I wear a bit of pink from time to time and at one point, I even considered dying my hair pink just to say I did it. But when it comes to my Barbie games I like a bit of color variety. Perhaps a green outfit or maybe even a blue. Barbie can come wrapped in a big purple box and the “pink aisle” in the toy store can be strewn with many different colors instead of the single, rather obvious shade of pink. Will it happen? Nope. Pink is as much a part of Barbie as her long blonde hair.

No comments: