Saturday, May 16, 2009

Barbie Games and Glamour


It seems that when I played Barbie games of my own so many years ago, Barbie was glamorous. She wore clothing I could only hope of wearing some day and her hair and make up were always perfect – well, until I got a hold of her with a pair of scissors one day.

But walking down the pink toy aisle just the other day, I was surprised to see that while Barbie was still very pretty and pulled together, she wasn’t showing up as a fashion icon per se. Most of the Barbies I saw were actually dolls dressed up as different characters as well as Barbie doing “normal” things.

When I played Barbie games, we wanted our Barbies to live the life we couldn’t. Barbie dressed in gowns dripping with diamonds and rushed around in a Barbie corvette. I didn’t want my Barbie to be a “normal” person. I wanted her to star in her own expensive reality show. Today, I guess girls have more options of how their Barbie games will turn out, but I miss the elegant simplicity of Barbie in her dream gown from a generation ago.

No comments: